View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #122 (permalink)
Methodical4u
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 370 6mt pw w/sp
Methodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
Right, but stock classing is based off of keeping stock rims, and shoving on a huge tire--no one does that. The wrx moves up favorably with more tire, which bumps it to decent b stock times. The nismo puts down similar times to a wrx running 265s while it is running 295+.
Yes I realize that and trust me, I was quite close to getting a WRX, but it doesn't come with 265's. We're getting away from a stock for stock car again.

I don't have all of the stats for either car. The weight distribution for the Z says 53/47 which seems pretty good... I don't know how good or bad that is... I never cared much. The Z (and i'm talking about the standard or sport model Z) that is labelled a CS car is still stock for stock ahead of the WRX according to the SCCA ratings... but since you yourself have said that your WRX has been ahead of Z's by "1-2 seconds" it would appear that their way of classing cars is flawed and that the WRX should be in at least CS correct?

Now if we want to start talking modding... the WRX is likely going to have an advantage because of the turbo and tuning and such (now getting back on topic) it can get more power out of a tune. The WRX guys themselves have told me that once that car gets to 350-400 whp that the tranny will have to be upgraded or replaced to handle that power... and while some say it's different, other suby guys have told me that's not the case and that the drivetrain is still weak and again... I haven't done the research, but this is just what was told to me and this was on the Subaru forums. Either way, there are more parts for the WRX than the Z... pretty obvious why.

I can only go by my own personal experience... I have seen Evo's on track overtake GT-R's and been close to top of the line Vette's... but this is also pretty highly modded. Then you also have the video of the lamborghini murcielago that was pretty easily overtaken by a FQ-400 Evo... and while those are modded, that's not 400 whp as far as I know that's bhp... yet the Lamborghini has much better power and common sense would tell most people that it doesn't make sense for a 4 door sedan to be able to overtake one of those cars with the power output and such.

AWD is my answer. IMHO if you put the WRX in a RWD platform it wouldn't be near what it is now. It also has the symmetrical system and this (take from Subaru's website) "Side-to-side balance, along with a compact layout and lower centre of gravity help give the vehicle greater stability. What's more, the system instantly reapportions the engine's torque between the front and rear wheels as conditions demand, providing powerful traction for more capable performance on any road."

That's not exactly comparing apples to apples here IMO. You still have a computer controlled car in a stock vs stock situation. Many of us have bought the 370z because it's a drivers car... the driver is responsible for the work and for the stability of the car.

Last edited by Methodical4u; 08-31-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Methodical4u is offline   Reply With Quote