View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Equinox
Track Member

Drives: 06 Porsche Carrera S
Equinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant futureEquinox has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
The OEM LSD is a sealed unit within the pumpkin. You can cool all the fluid you want, but you are only cooling the fluid surrounding the LSD. The actual OEM LSD is still generating all the heat within a diff oil bath.
Cooling the viscous LSD helps to keep the inner silicone oil from deteriorating early. After 60k miles on a viscous LSD, the LSD tend to function mostly as an open diff. The loss in function occurs gradually, cooling prolonging the process, just as a water jacket around the engine cools an inner jacket of oil.

Quote:
So you took the rear diff cover off to tap? Seems I've read articles on tapping the cover with It still in place being it's on the lower portion of the cover. Just be slow and patience and use grease on the bits to retain the shavings and flush it several times be sure all is clear. I know its easy to drop the diff and all, it just takes time but just wondering. But the more I think of it it would be best to drop it for I would want to file down everything.

Also I only see the temp sensor if you opt for the temp controller not the pump. Is that so?
I would def suggest dropping the diff, or at least taking off the rear cover. I DO NOT SUGGEST drill and tapping a hole with the cover in place. Even when placing the temp sensor low (which is what I did, to measure the reservoir) there are a few baffles inside that can block the probe from mounting properly. You should drill and tap once you are able to view BOTH sides of the cover.

On my picture, you will see I have the temp probe (brass, at the lower right corner of cover) and the drain plug is now an AN stainless fitting, as well as the fill hole. My setup uses the temperature probe to tell the pump when to turn on and off, only circulating the oil once it reaches a "high" temperature, and not while just at normal operating temp.
'13 Subaru WRX STi | '06 Porsche 911 Carrera S (SOLD) | '96 Mazda RX-7 6.0L V8 RHD (SOLD) | '09 Nissan Nismo #0058 (SOLD)
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote