View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pharmacist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z Sport 6MT
Pharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercennarius View Post
Regardless the Z still easily beat the Z4 around the track .
Yeah, no surprise there. Truth is that bmw doesn't really make track cars. I mean, no limited slip differential on any car other than M cars, not even as an option. And you can't upgrade easily and cheaply either with aftermarket. The diffs on 135i/335i, not.sure about the z4, have the ring gear welded to the differential mechanism, which means either swapping out the whole rear end, or massive cutting/welding/fabricating to fit the new lsd in. Not to mention generally smaller wheels and tires, relatively soft suspension, and ancient floating caliper brakes that are notorious for fading on the track.

On the other hand, if you want a road car, nothing matches the luxury, refinement, and pleasure of a BMW.

That's why I bought the z, cuz I plan to track it occasionally and the z is much more readily configured for the track. If it was strictly for road use only, I would have definitely gone with a 135i or 335i, or even z4,