View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
emx620
Base Member

Drives: '10 370Z
emx620 is on a distinguished road
Default My custom build: Focal, JL Audio, and Kenwood

Hi all,

So I finally took the plunge and decided to install an aftermarket sound system. When purchasing my Z, I decided against going with the Touring model so that I would have an easier time installing an aftermarket sound system. In retrospect, I'm really glad I went with the base model, as the HVAC controls are built into the headunit in the Touring model.

- Kenwood DDX418
- JL Audio 10W3V3 10" 300W RMS Subwoofer
- JL Audio XD300/1 300W @ 2ohms Mono Amplifier
- Focal IS 165 6.5" Component Speakers

I had my work done at Custom Sounds here in Austin, TX. I originally wanted to go with a 12" subwoofer setup, but the guy at Custom Sounds talked me into getting a 10", and they built me a custom enclosure as well.

I knew I wanted a JL Audio subwoofer, so the next step was picking out a model. I decided to go with the 10W3V3. I paired it with a clean amp (JL XD300/1), and they mounted the amp below the sway bar underneath the carpeting.

As you can see, there aren't any clearance problems looking out the back. The box was built to the 10W3's specifications as well.

Bluetooth streaming was a requisite for me, so I ended up going with the Kenwood DDX418. I really like the headunit thus far.

I set the Kenwood color to match the Z's stock colors as best I could.

I ended up going with Focal 6.5" speakers in the front. I think they did a really good job installing them as you can't even tell they're aftermarket:

And of course, they installed the handsfree kit that came with the Kenwood, and mounted the dual input noise canceling microphone near the rear-view mirror.

All in all, I felt they did a good job. The install is clean...no marks or anything on my dash edges, and it sounds great. They also installed hushmat throughout the car, and I can say I'm pleasantly surprised at how little noise/bass you can hear outside of the car.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks for viewing!
emx620 is offline   Reply With Quote