View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Methodical4u
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 370 6mt pw w/sp
Methodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the rough

Ok guys... of course the right tools get the job done so here is what I did. I went to lowes and I got the following...

1 15 or 20" extension (1/2 inch)... i'm not sure which it was... pretty sure it was 20" it was total about 16.00
1 10" extension (1/2 inch) 9.97 I believe
1 14 mm socket 6 point ... NO 12' star

All of the following tools obviously are 1/2 drive which is important IMO since it can handle the amount of torque you have to put on the demon bolt.

Last night I resoaked all bolts with PB blaster and I cannot stress enough how important this is. I actually think that soaking them overnight is best, if you can do it for 2 days then even better.

No universal is needed, though I bought one just in case.

Ok now... the people who have said that it's a straight shot are correct... if you go straight in with the socket and extensions, it should touch the top of the air box... it's a perfectly straight path... I had my roomate use a fairly long ratchet twist it since I have a bad shoulder and I pushed with a little extra effort... both bolts came loose in literally 2 minutes combined. I wish I would have had this damn set-up last night.

Anyway, I just thought that might help someone out. Keep in mind my car only has a little over 2,000 miles on it, so it hasn't rusted nearly as much as some others who are trying to do this... but if I had more miles on the car and knew what I was going to do, I would spray all of the bolts as soon as I ordered the part, dirve the car normally, but hit it with PB blaster twice a day... with 3-5 days of that, it should be more than enough.
Methodical4u is offline   Reply With Quote