View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #55 (permalink)
speed_BMW330i
Base Member

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Auto
speed_BMW330i is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikuh View Post
Whenever I teach someone to drive a manual, I always tell them the most important thing to remember is...

Gas before clutch.

Never let your foot out on the clutch unless you are giving the engine some gas, otherwise you will stall and freak out because the car just shook like a crazed animal before dying.

I also have them rev the engine pretty high to get them used to the engine noise because I have noticed a lot of people tend to freak out when the engine spools up but the car isn't moving.

So to sum up, gas before clutch and don't go crazy when the engine gets loud.
I'm looking to buy a manual 370Z this fall (hopefully), and I'm planning on taking some stick shift classes (again), so I appreciate these helpful tips.

However, I have a question in regards to the "gas before clutch" tip.

If you depress the gas before you hit the clutch, won't the car lurch forward hard?

One of the problems I had when I was taking stick shift classes last summer was stalling from a stop to 1st gear. I had a hard time feeling when the clutch was getting a grip. To offset my lack of timing, I would always punch the gas. The good news is that I stopped stalling but the bad news is that I was always peeling out. My female instructor always giggled when I did that because she thought that it was funny that I would rather peel out rather than stall.

When I start taking stick shift classes, I'll remember to try the "gas before clutch" method.

Martin
speed_BMW330i is offline   Reply With Quote