View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dizzy
Base Member

Drives: 10 HW 6MT SPT/NAV
Dizzy is on a distinguished road

$47,331 is WAY out of the ball park for a car with 8000k on it and stone chips....WAY out! The dealer is out to lunch if they think it's worth anywhere near that.

MSRP is $47,032 for a brand new Nismo

For some reason, the web site doesn't show Frieght on the Nismo but I have to assume the regular $1600 cash grab. That should put MSRP around $48,600. So they've dropped it $1k? That insane. I could order a brand new one for less than that without any problem (If hey are stil shipping them).

I bought my 2010 last year in September. End of the year, dealer was a friend of a friend and everything lined up perfectly. I paid below dealer invoice for mine (only because factory had incentives back to the dealer). My sales reciept showed MSRP for an M6 Sport Nav @ $48,898 (List and Freight). I know from doing my research back then that dealer invoice was $44,891. I paid $44,620 for my Z - below dealer invoice. Now, that was because I knew the dealer through a friend it was a no BS deal. He was up front that he was getting healthy incentives from the factory and was quite clear he was making his profit. I couldn't care less, I got an amazing deal below invoice. As a matter of fact, if I would have taken different colour, I could have gotten it for less but I wouldn't take anything other than white.

You have a lot of other variables that will effect your purchase. For instance, you mention financing. That immediately puts your ability to deal at a disadvantage. You'll always get a better price with a cash deal.

Back to the Nismo. Average mark up would suggest to me that a new Nismo is costing the dealer somewhere around $43,550. Add the $1600 in frieght and his cost should be around $45,150.

Consider there's usually about an 8% mark up on a new car from invoice to MSRP. That's been pretty standard on the Z (at least it was when I did my research in 2009/2010). Basic rule of thumb for a fair starting point in my books is half of that - 4%. Anything I succeed at getting beyond that is good gravey! So at a 4% mark up, I wouldn't consider paying a penny more than $46,956 + taxes for a brand spanking new order!

Now look at 8000K and stoine chips and in my books, you're down around the 40,000 mark in reality. Why would you pay anywhere near fair retail for a used chipped up car? I wouldn't even consider it in the first place. Stone chips would drive me insane. I'm a year later with 16,000k on mine and there is a chip on it (thanks clearshield).

The dealer can't expect to make a profit on a car with $8000 and stone chips so he has to expect less than invoice ($45,150).

Now add in end of season jitters about carrying stock through the winter and the price just keeps dropping.

On the bad side, availability isn't what it was last year due to stock problems after Japan's problems. That gives a slight advantasge back to the dealer.

Don't let the desire to grab that car let you pay too much. Do your research. Call around and find out whats out there stock wise. Find a dealer that will work with you and they'll tell you whats out there in a few seconds. You should easily be able to get a brand new Nismo for around 47K without even trying hard if there's stock out there.

Rare - maybe, reports were they were only going bring around 60 to Canada. As mentioned, the dealer will play that card as "collectable" but as mentioned, they aren't. They won't hold their value any better than a Sport IMHO.

Last edited by Dizzy; 08-17-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote