View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
mr_sk
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 Z Sport MT
mr_sk is on a distinguished road

Already, after driving my car only 100 miles over the course of a week, my oil temperature is nearing 220. During this driving I've kept the car under 3K almost always. I've done no hard driving at all. I want to baby it for the first ~500 miles.

I researched the forums and it appears there are countless threads discussing the oil temp problems but one thing is pretty clear - If you are experiencing high oil temps a cooler (with Thermostatic Plate aka "off-valve"? for winter) is the way to go.
Quote:
Cold oil temps are as bad as high oil temps
- someone on the forum, heh.

I plan on doing some autox and 1/4 runs, but no real "tracking" and no FI until at least 2-3 years out, so I've opted for the Stillen 19Row oil cooler: STILLEN : STILLEN Oil Cooler Kit

I'm aware of the other options, Z1 being the next runner up, but I decided stillen because the tuner I'm using has a ton of experience with them and the threads I've read seem to not provide enough evidence that one 19Row is better than the other, so I opt'd for Stillen.

Being in NY, the two Long Island dealers I've seen mentioned and recommended are Performance Motorsports and Vinny Tens. After careful consideration and perhaps going against the grain of the recommendations for Performance (they outweighed Vinny Tens roughly 2:1) I opted for Vinnys for this install. Doesn't mean VTs have won my contract for ALL work - but I decided, based on the correspondence I had with Brandon (super helpful) and the fact my dealer (Advantage Nissan) has a close relationship with them and recommended VT, I decided to give them a shot.

I've also seen praise for VT on the forums, not just criticism. Can't say I've seen any criticism for PM on the forums though ...

There's also the factor of PM not responding to a few emails I sent - ArnoldK suggested I call them, but sometimes email is just easier. I'm busy, I don't always have time to get on the phone. So VT wins a few brownie points for being damn punctual in their emails.

I have a slot scheduled for 9AM on Sat the 27th for the oil cooler install. I'm also attempting to lock in an install for later that day w/SavagageAutosports for a clear-bra install...but more on that in another entry.

Last edited by mr_sk; 08-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
mr_sk is offline   Reply With Quote