View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #1352 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Bravo Company is absolutely top quality with excellent customer service. I have BCM barrels on two of my SBRs and always use their bolt carrier groups. The biggest problem with them is that they simply don't have the manufacturing capacity to keep up with the demand for their excellent rifles and occasionally suspend rifle sales while they try to catch up. Currently, you can't buy a rifle from Bravo Company -- they anticipate resuming taking orders sometime "summer 2011". In the meantime, another excellent rifle is Daniel Defense...they might be more available a little sooner. And, be aware that you can buy a Colt 6920 for $1095.99. Colt is still at the top of the heap relative to overall quality in the AR platform.

Two good places to shop rifles are Rainier Arms and G&R Tactical. If you call or email G&R, ask Grant about availability. He can give you great advice and put together a great package. He's utterly reliable and prices as good as anywhere G&R Tactical . He might have some Bravo Company units around. He's the kind of guy that if you describe basically what you want to do with the gun, he'll suggest appropriate rifles and accessories. He is objective and honest, and won't give you self-serving advice.

I wouldn't go with a piston gun for my first AR...I'd get one that works the way the platform was designed - direct impingement.
I agree with everything except for this. There are several Colts in my Dad's rifle safe, and I prefer the Sabre Defense rifles to them. They have better fit-finish, normal size FCG pins, and the full-auto carriers. My Dad has a CAR and a HBAR6601 from Colt. While the 6920 will have normal small-pins in the FCG, it is still far from the fit/finish of the Sabre's I have handled and own.

This is not to say it isn't a GREAT! rifle and a steal at that price and it WILL be reliable. I am just saying that to call it the best is an over-statement. It may come the closest to following the TDP, but the TDP is a rigid set of specifications. I think a mid-length gas setup is a vast improvement for the 14.5" rifle, among other things offered by other manufacturers.

Both G&R and Rainier are top notch as you say, but both are in the camp with ADM, and I dare anyone to prove that ADM makes a mount half as good as LaRue's offerings (It seems there is a LaRue camp, and an ADM and co. camp). They offer great rifles and advise on them, but I'll take the LaRue mount over ADM any time. G&R is priced more reasonably than Rainier, but Rainier seems to ship faster and they have a professional photographer that photographs their inventory for them. Insanely nice photo's of their product on their page.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote