View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
TPrelude-370z
Base Member

Drives: 09-Tour-Sport-MB-6MT
TPrelude-370z is on a distinguished road
Default Custom painted lip OEM sport spoiler please look, I need lots of opinions

Below is the cover story for why I tried this. I am not a big fan of plasti dip after this experience, but it did give me something visual to go off. I like the way the spoiler looks with the rear valiance painted it seems to be a good accent.

I am digging the two tone spoiler, I would just make the black strip wider covering about 1" more of the wing. I would be using real paint when I do this (satin black). What do you guys think? Paint the entire spoiler black? Paint the entire spoiler body color again?

Original post: Bad Paint defect from poor touchup skills

Long story short is I had chipped the paint on my sport spoiler with my watch like the second day I got it. It scraped all the way through. I continually tried to touch up the deep chip/scraped marks and ended up destroying about a 2" x 1" section of paint on the corner of the spoiler. It is extremely noticeable as I would wet sand and take off more paint, then have to touch up a larger area, and so on until I got to this point.

Before paying to have this fixed, or attempting to fix myself with actual spray paint, what are your opinions on a 2" flat black strip along the entire rear edge of the wing and maybe perhaps curling under the lip of the spoiler so you can see the black from behind.

I planned on plasti dipping my rear and front valiance today, and I figured why not give it a shot? I have nothing to lose and it come right off. Just curious what you guys think, and if there are any other z's with that strip painted so I can get a look at it (monterey blue if possible).

In closing, check out the pics and let me know thoughts, I don't want to drive around with a ridiculous wing if it is not necessary.

On another note, I didn't know the plasti dip would not keep its edge like when using real paint and masking tape. I tried to pull it asap after the last coat when I quickly realized it pulls up the entire painted second.

I should never be given a straight razor or exact o knife as I managed to scratch all the way through the clear and paint trying to give the plasti dip some sort of edge. I did the very same thing on my Prelude while messing around with some Di Noc vinyl.

Did the best I could with the pics, the original droid camera isn't very good.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110810_194216.jpg (497.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110810_194353.jpg (396.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110810_194304.jpg (540.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110810_194337.jpg (435.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110810_194401.jpg (418.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110810_194319.jpg (414.7 KB, 51 views)
TPrelude-370z is offline   Reply With Quote