View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

If you stay in C Stock you dont have much you can do.

As mentioned front Swaybar, Shocks, cat back exhaust system and tires are only real changes. You will be camber limited in C Stock. You cant change stock offsets more than .25. These cars turn well so I wouldnt rule out front bar. In stockish base car you will want roll stiffness espeically if you are camber challenged.

A6 is only choice for AX if you are serious. I will say I ran A6 on track and they were much tougher than I had suspected. I ran two full track days and put 60 autocross runs on my fiorst set of A6's and they still have tread! I'm no wall flower either. I have spun car numerous times in AX, spun tires out of turns etc. My lap times were similar on both A6 and R6. A6 would get a little greasy towards end of hot session in 80 degree wheather.

Next step down would be Kuhmo 710 or Hankook 214. You not going to get ideal size in these tires however. Avoid the BFG r1 if AX is your gig as they need heat to work. anything under these will not be competitive in C Stock.

Nittos, Toyos, etc treaded DOT R's just dont cut it in AX as they require higher operating temps and just dont stick as well as slick DOT tires.

Street tirees. You might have a local street tire class you can run. If that is the case and they allow 140 Treadwear. Bridgestone re11, Yokohama Advan a008, Hankook RS3 are some of the top tires. I run cheap $200 a tire Nitto NTO5's and they are fine for street tire. I run 285 rear and 275 front. I use 43 front and 40 rear for those street tires. But I hate street tires in AX. I dont like abusing my street tires.

Back to A6. You can run 295 hooiser A6 up front on stock 9.5 and I think most of the C Stock guys run 295 on 10.5 back too. Because I run BSP and have a lot more freedom with suspension I run 315 rear and 295 front and car turns like there is no tomrrow.

Im rather biased but I cant stand running the 370Z stock in AX. Even my Nismo was frustrating. The car lacks proper LSD and suspension tuning to truly do well against much more agile MX5s in that class. Without a proper LSD you are definitely going to want a bigger front bar or you will be laying down big black stripes on inside wheel all the time if you are an agressive/fast AX driver. Did I say stock VLSD sucks? Man does it ever suck! I think thats the one thing that keeps the 370Z from doing well in Stock classes. Sure there is one hot shoe who podiumed at nationals but I'd put money on him being faster in a national class MX5. Also beware that AX seems to accelerate VLSD degradation in performance. Mine after a few AX days really seemed to fall off.

It took a lot of work just to tune out all the crappy dynamics of stock Nismo for my car to finally feel good in AX. I cant imagine driving a sloppy base 370Z in AX would be much fun if you are used to open wheel cars. They are very sloppy cars in stock form. Guess with a real good damper you could tune the car to work a little better.

Good luck! Keep us updated to your progress!

Last edited by Shamu; 08-09-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Shamu is offline   Reply With Quote