View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #1339 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Once you get below about 11.5 inches, gas systems can get a little finnicky due to the decrease in dwell time. An 11.5 inch SBR has about a 40% greater dwell time than a 10.5, so 11.5 and above---no problem. Add a suppressor, things can get a little more complicated, solved with an adjustable gas system like the Switchblock.

As to performance, I lose about 250 FPS with my 11.5 compared to my 16 inch using PMC .223 ammo in 55 gr. Since my SBRs are entirely for shooting at 50 yards or less, there is no meaningful performance degradation for my purposes. YMMV. For those who want a rifle to shoot out at 100 yards and beyond with MOA accuracy, an SBR wouldn't be the best choice.

That, of course, is the bottom line. The reason I persist on the subject is that I wouldn't want anyone to get inaccurate impressions.

/
I have seen a lot more people with baffle-strikes on the <14.5" guns, though. Further, gas-port noise is enhanced greatly.

I just don't mind the extra barrel length and the CDI factor isn't enough to make me pursue it.

An SBR can be very accurate at 100+ yards, though. Don't limit yourself to 50 yards.

As to your point:
-Yes, 10.5-11.5" guns are reliable with a can.
-The new SOST ammo (tested some the other day, love it!) was designed to function out to 100m from the 10.5" barrel.
-No SBR's are not less accurate.
-You need a brake instead of a flashhider if you run a SBR and a can. Your can will thank you and the blast baffle will last a LOT
longer.
-The shorter the barrel, the more you need an adjustable gas-system (like the Noveske SB. Speaking of which...where can you buy replacement gas-tubes for that thing?)

Last edited by ImportConvert; 08-09-2011 at 10:04 AM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote