View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
mjg
Base Member

Drives: 13' GT 500
mjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant futuremjg has a brilliant future
Default Is my car a lemon?

I traded my car in, for a new Z last week. When I originally went into the showroom, I intended to do a test drive, and quickly get my car evaluated on a trade in. I actually really liked the offer, and realized it was time for me to upgrade, and I thought the 370Z made perfect sense coming from my G35 Coupe, which I loved, but had just finished paying off a loan (and began having some problems with the transmission out of original warranty). I wanted a new car... Was shopping around, and ended up finally looking at a Z when I realized I could afford it and really wanted one.

Anyhow, the car was not available for test drive, so I had to go back, and I signed an agreement that pending a test drive, I could agree to a tentative deal we setup.

They called me up, told me they had to replace the battery and a cable, and the car was ready (took a few days). I thought nothing of it, took it for a spin: car drove fine.... I bought the car right there.

Anyhow --
On the way home, car had no audio... I was looking for the mute button. I realized something was wrong and went straight back! Showed it to them, and he sent me to a service department. So as I went in, the guy said I had to leave the car with them! No idea what was wrong... Anyhow, i said screw that, I'll bring it in monday, let them fix the audio then, I want to drive this thing. So I did... Drove around for 3 hours... what a huge mistake. As soon as it was night time I discovered the headlights didn't work.

Anyway I brought it in next day, they never changed the head light fuse (or checked). Headlights now work -- Still no audio, had no idea why. I had to go back in on Monday.

Today I brought it in, and they told me they are ordering a new bose amp and that it was dead.

It seems clear to me they have no idea what happened with the car.... I think something was shorted out, and damaged the fuses, battery, and cabling somehow. I'm guessing this, because they haven't said anything. Everything worked fine but the headlights (and bose audio) as far as I can tell.

One other comment -- I had to have them fix a ding I found on the car, and touch up some paint. They agreed to fix this though.

I love the car, and now we know what's wrong, but, but I really wanted the opinion of some of the people on here if they feel I should claim this car as a lemon, having no idea why the electrical system failed? Would this happen again?

I want to have it checked over by a real expert, and really don't trust any of the Nissan dealerships on Long Island. Plan on bringing it to Vinny Ten or someone around long island. Please any comments?

Last edited by mjg; 08-08-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: forgot to mention this was a new 2010 Z (<50 miles on it)
mjg is offline   Reply With Quote