View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #60 (permalink)
Mergnthwirker
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z PW MT6 S
Mergnthwirker will become famous soon enough

Now would be a good time to keep your eyes open for someone selling a set of the stock 18" wheels. You can often find them as people upgrade their wheels from the base edition. The stock 18" wheels fit over the sport brakes.

Reason: snow wheels! 18" Blizzaks will make your winter a whole lot more reasonable. 18" snows are a better bet in the winter too. Plus the stock 18" wheels will likely have the senders in place already for the tire pressure warning system. I bought a set of stock 18's two years ago and had them fitted with Blizzaks. My total outlay including wheels & mounting/balancing was about $1500. I've been through a couple of hard winters without much drama (Connecticut), altho I don't put many miles on the Z in the winter.

One nice thing about the sport model is the viscous limited slip differential, which is a real boon in snowy conditions.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about oil temps, unless you are tracking your car. As soon as you start adding performance (intake, catback, high-flow cats, tune), then you'll probably want the oil cooler. When you do, get one with a thermal plate that closes off the oil cooler at lower temps. Otherwise things will run too cool in the winter, and your gas mileage will suck.

Hope this helps.
Mergnthwirker is offline   Reply With Quote