View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Dark Sarcasm
Track Member

Drives: 11 CTS-V Coupe
Dark Sarcasm will become famous soon enoughDark Sarcasm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
OK.... question here to the 7AT guys from a 6MT guy...

instead of worrying about having to up-shift manually and timing with the delay etc.... why not just let the auto trans upshift itself? they dont actually shift any faster in "manual" mode anyway do they? Will someone manually shifting the 370z 7AT actually run down the 1/4 any quicker than the guy just in plain auto mode? i would figure not, and probably slower because hes not going to be able to time it as well.

i mean really, what are you trying to do? no offense, i mean i can understand downshifting the auto manually while coming into a turn or something... but when trying to full throttle accelerate.. what advantage is there to shifting it yourself?
when im under full throttle in my AT, the trans shifts WAY faster in manual mode. My 7AT will go from 1st to 2nd faster than I could shift it was a manual. Barking the rear tires, under full throttle, in manual mode is not unusual. There is a slight, 1/2 second delay from the time I hit the paddle till the shift. Its the same at higher
gears on the highway, the upshifts are very quick in manual mode.

My brother in-law has an 05 Vette with paddle shifters. I drove it when he first got it. He explained the paddle shifters are more for holding it in gears around corners, not really for fast upshifts. The Z trans is different. He drove mine and couldnt believe how fast it changes gears in manual mode.

This isnt a manny vs. auto thread, but for you MT guys out there that havent driven the paddle shifters yet, I highly suggest you try them out. It may not be what you want for your own Z but I think you will be impressed with the 7AT performance.