View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard Dad View Post
wstar is correct. First and second fly by in the 7AT so a shift light would be a real aid.

To clarify I'm not talking about drag racing, I am talking about road, auto-x and track applications where the traffic and corners preclude staring at the tach to time your next shift.

Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight with the 6MT folks but it bears pointing out that the 7AT in the Z is not your father's Powerglide. The 7AT provides some interesting challenges and some interesting opportunities and I'm trying to make the most of what it has to offer. Why did I buy it? because it rev-matches better and shifts faster than I can and when the pinched nerve in my lower back is acting up operating a clutch becomes a real problem. So it is what it is.

For most AutoX, you won't need to shift. I've only ever run one course that required changing more than that 1-2 shift at the start.

For everything else, my thought would be to go by feel. I don't use the shift light in my 6mt. I know when I need to change gears, and I do it. It shouldn't take much practice to be at that point.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote