View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

i personally wouldnt go all the way down to 9:1 in the VHR unless going for REALLY high boost. part of what makes this engine so amazing is all the technology behind it, and technology in engines also includes being capable of running high compression with crummy pump gas while still making decent power with advanced engine management systems.

stock engines are capable of 600rwhp if tuned right with fragile NA internals at 11:1 compression. Most guys who built their engine will never exceed 650-700rwhp. 10:1 is the lowest I would go... I am deciding on a CR right now for my extra engine, but I will probably order some custom 10:1 or 10.3:1.

not to beat a dead horse with a long post, but the VHR is really an amazing engine. I wouldnt take away part of what makes it drive so great. The fact that we have a 13.0 second car before the turbos even spool is why it drives so friggin AWESOME with turbos, cause the second they are pushing the air harder even before pressure is generated just makes this engine RIP. ever driven a car like a STI or an EVO or Supra, those cars are like 15-16 second cars if you take the turbo off, the engines drive like zombies until the turbos spin up to high boost. its an exagerated example, as even a 9:1 VHR isnt going to be that slow.... but we are in a new age here with much better engines... 9:1 is old school stuff, no need for that low to bring a VHR to 700-800hp IMHO.

i think at around 10:1, the car should still drive and feel like a mid 13 second car or so when not loading it into boost. that means a really great feeling engine.

Last edited by phunk; 08-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote