View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
supunna_picta
Base Member

Drives: Red 370z
supunna_picta is on a distinguished road
Default Clear Bra 'stains' paint

I just came back from a place that was reinstalling a clear bra on my car's hood (poor 1st time install), when they pulled it off they noticed some sort of discoloration. It is about a 6 inch line that looks like a brush stroke in one direction, and then lower down on the hood (front corner) some speckles of discoloration like splash dots.

The discoloration most closely resembles a stain as it is smooth and flush and light polishing had no impact to remove it. It is a slightly darker red than the OEM paint and is visible from most viewing angles but not all.

Best I can figure is that some chemical was dropped onto the paint and then the clear bra installed over it and 'cured' for the duration I had it on there. It was not visible with the clear bra on, only after it was removed, so it might have occurred after the fact. Car was basically flawless paint (just over 1k mi at time of install) before original install.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be from? Waiting on 3M to respond as it is under warranty, or the shop says they will rectify the situation.