View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crash
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 02 Corvette Z06
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute

That depends on the car still. The corvette has a full chassis. There are cars that only have half frames (Like F-Bodies and mustangs).

But more importantly, there's a HUGE difference between convertibles and roadsters: Roadsters were designed to be topless. Their frames are tough from the get-go. Convertibles, however, are usually an afterthought. Hence the extra crap on them to make them more rigid... But that doesn't mean they're as rigid as a coupe.

BTW, I felt the lack of stiffness in my Trans Am which was a T-Top. That frame flexed and twisted like it was NOTHING. Taking turn, or going up and down drive ways was a fantastic reminder how crappy the half frames were. It felt slightly better when the tops were on, but not much. And the car DESPERATELY needed sub-frame connectors which I'd never got around to doing.

You can certainly feel rigidity in a car, convertible vs. coupe. You CAN feel that. Added weight is a mute point, but for racing, convertible isn't the smartest idea (suspension and rigidity wise)