View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

In which orientation did you install the oil cooler? If the fittings are down, the oil will back flow into the oil sump and the dipstick level is worthless. If you installed the cooler with the fittings up, the oil will not back flow and the dipstick is accurate. In that case, you're overfilled and should remove some oil (oil extractor is the easiest way). Most people say 6qts exactly is 'right' for a 25row oil cooler installation.

Your oil cooler is just doing its job. Even if you have a thermostatic plate, your oil temps may be too low if the weather is cool/cold (oil will never get to 180F). You can deal with this by making a cover for the cooler. See my DIY in the DIY section. You do not want your oil overcooled. I've found that ambient temps under about 65F are best served with the cooler cover in place unless I'm going to be driving hard or on track.