View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Vaughanabe13
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
Vaughanabe13 has a spectacular aura aboutVaughanabe13 has a spectacular aura about

I have a question. When you are reversing, do you typically just let the clutch engage part way and use that motion to complete the reverse maneuver? Do you add gas at all or just use the manipulation of the clutch? Do you ever let the clutch fully engage? I tried letting the clutch fully engage once and the car started bucking like crazy, even as I was giving a little bit of gas. Perhaps I wasn't giving enough gas, or it's a bad thing to let the clutch all the way out in reverse? I just want to make sure I'm doing my reverse procedure correctly and not excessively wearing the clutch. Thoughts?

Also, what do you do in the situation where you need to stop at a stop sign and then move a few feet forward in order to get a better view? Do you just fully stop and then put it in first and let the clutch slip with no gas?

Also, if you're doing a "rolling stop" where you slow way down but don't stop, say behind cars at a light that just turned green or while you're in a parking lot - do you put it into first or second? I tried taking off from second one time and I must have been going too slow or something because the car didn't seem to like it and bucked a little bit.

When you press the clutch in to disengage, do you hear any noises at all, mechanically speaking? I don't hear anything with the windows up but when I have the windows down and sound off I can hear the clutch make a clicking noise or something and since I'm a manual noob I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I'm assuming it's normal.

Thanks in advance! I'll provide rep points for answers. I know I'm being very specific and somewhat paranoid right now but I just want to become a better manual driver.

Last edited by Vaughanabe13; 08-01-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Vaughanabe13 is offline   Reply With Quote