View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #173 (permalink)
toner123
Track Member

Drives: TT 370z Touring/SP
toner123 has a spectacular aura abouttoner123 has a spectacular aura abouttoner123 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to toner123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
Well, since we are using ricer math, how about we crunch the numbers this way?

The VQ37 weighs about 370# and is 3.7L, that is 100# per liter. The LS7 is 7L and weighs 450#. That is 64# per liter. So for Nissan to have a 7.0L V8, it would weigh like 650#.

That's about the same logic as what you are using, just seen from my angle.

GM is ABLE to use massive displacement and maintain small size and low weight BECAUSE of the technology they have. Who cares when it came out? If it were the new thing you would be humping its leg. The only reason you don't like it is because it's been around for a long time.

Also factor in cost. The VQ37 and LS3 go for similar prices, yet the LS3 offers so much more performance. Also has a better warranty.

Technology is great, but as Mercedes AMG shows us, even a 4-valve, quad-cam, cutting-edge setup will only make a few more HP (about 50) than an LS7, has displacement/size limitations greater than the LS7, and costs 4 times as much.
EDIT: Personally I don't care if it is the greatest engine in the world and I could get a vette for free. I will never own a GM car

So in other words i guess the moral of the story is, there is no replacement for displacement
toner123 is offline   Reply With Quote