View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #171 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCZ View Post
I agree with the fact that LSx engines are amazing and they make tons of power...but you gotta also take into consideration the measure of efficiency. The z06 requires 7L to make 505 or 72hp/L. The 370z for example...89hp/L and thats with two less cylinders. Exactly. 2 less sources of parasitic loss. Good luck making a 7.0L V6 that revs to 7Krpm reliably over and over.

For the sake of comparison --The 2012 GT-R makes 530hp from a 3.8L TTV6 - 140hp/L. Which is still a lot less total power than the much lighter LS9. Yawn. Winning > Mental masturbation.

So yeah, the LS engines are cheap and reliable...but you can see that dreamer is right in saying there is a LOT left on the table simply because they are "old" designs. If the 370Z had a 7L V8 with the technology of the current 3.7L V6....then by doing some ricer math....you're looking at 620hp from a V6 and close to 700 from the V8. Well stay tuned. GM went from a 440# 405bhp LS6 to a 450# 505bhp LS7. Lets see what the C7Z is about...I bet it still uses 16 valves and 1 cam.

I dont think he's trying to argue that its not a great engine or that it doesnt win races....but he's completely right in saying the older technology is nowhere as efficient as the new. It is VERY efficient. The BSFC of the LS7 and LS3 are very good considering the power they make.
Well, since we are using ricer math, how about we crunch the numbers this way?

The VQ37 weighs about 370# and is 3.7L, that is 100# per liter. The LS7 is 7L and weighs 450#. That is 64# per liter. So for Nissan to have a 7.0L V8, it would weigh like 650#.

That's about the same logic as what you are using, just seen from my angle.

GM is ABLE to use massive displacement and maintain small size and low weight BECAUSE of the technology they have. Who cares when it came out? If it were the new thing you would be humping its leg. The only reason you don't like it is because it's been around for a long time.

Also factor in cost. The VQ37 and LS3 go for similar prices, yet the LS3 offers so much more performance. Also has a better warranty.

Technology is great, but as Mercedes AMG shows us, even a 4-valve, quad-cam, cutting-edge setup will only make a few more HP (about 50) than an LS7, has displacement/size limitations greater than the LS7, and costs 4 times as much.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 07-29-2011 at 06:06 PM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote