View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #89 (permalink)
VTZ
Base Member

Drives: '10 370Z Convt PW M6
VTZ is on a distinguished road

Well its been a year and 1 month since this thread started and I am finally happy to say that this all came to fruition and I now have received, and installed my SmartTop (FINALLY!!)

I received the item yesterday (quick shipping) and installed it this evening. Ran into a few minor bumps along the way during my install but nothing too bad. Their walk through instructions for the 370 on their website are not bad but could be a little better. Sorry I wasn't able to do a DIY. Hardest part is really the step of threading one of the wires from the back area where the top folds down through to the right side of the passengers seat. I actually think I got pretty lucky and managed to get it just right, on the first couple of tries, and was able to snag the wire from the other side and pull it through. I could see that part getting frustrating and time consuming so good luck with that step when you get there. (TIP: I used one of those metal extending rods with the magnetic end, which is like an extendable stereo antenna, and was able to hook the edge of the wire with the tip of the rod and pull it through). Anyways, I am happy to report that it's installed now and IT WORKS!

So what do I think about this product? I LOVE IT! What it does may seem trivial to some but this is a huge convenience for me. I just spent a while testing it and it is so nice!!! It was pretty awesome to just hit the open button once, as I was rolling up to a stop sign. The top just did its thing as I stopped and started again and by the time I was ready to accelerate over 25mph the top was down. Heading home I hit the close button while pulling into my neighborhood... by the time I pulled into my driveway the top was just finishing closing up. So convenient. Personally I feel like the top should have been designed this way from the factory (but I understand Nissan's concerns about safety).

Anyway... if you are interested in this product/feature but were on the fence, I say go for it! This just made my car so much more enjoyable and makes top operation a breeze (instead of a pain of having to be stopped and holding down a button).

Also... again, big props to Crash for making this all possible by lending his Z to them to develop the product. Thanks man, I definitely appreciate it! Hope you are still enjoying the Benz... I bet a part of you misses your Z though
VTZ is offline   Reply With Quote