View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mergnthwirker
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z PW MT6 S
Mergnthwirker will become famous soon enough

Weight savings is the new frontier of performance in this increasingly "green" conscious world. On the one hand you have 600 lb battery packs in the hybrids, on the other hand you have new technologies (like glued-together Lotus cars and all-aluminum Audi A2's) that reduce weight. Reminds me of Colin Chapman's formula 1 cars of the 60's. For more speed, add lightness!

What does light mean today? The American vehicle fleet has been running over 50% trucks for a decade, averaging over 2 tons each. No wonder our total fuel usage as a country has not improved in the last 20 years on a per-vehicle basis. And crash standards and additional safety equipment keep adding "mandatory" weight. I've owned the same "model" Audi for several generations and each time a new one comes out it is about 10-15% heavier.

Now Audi is saying they are going to invest heavily in eliminating weight from their vehicles. This will become the new battleground for technological supremacy (along with alternative powertrain development). Interesting times indeed! The car companies to watch will be those who can figure out how to do weight savings gracefully.

I love the fact that my Z has extensive use of aluminum and alloy parts. I still WISH it had the same power with 400-600 pounds less "road-hugging" weight (anyone remember that advertising?). I'd much rather have the lighter car than have a li-on battery pack and pancake electric motor sandwiched into the powertrain.

Of course, in my clapped out old 1963 Alfa Giulietta (at 2183 lbs), I worry about how thin a pancake I will make in a SUV sandwich...
Mergnthwirker is offline   Reply With Quote