View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
FromG2Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 5.0, kona, 6MT
FromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent370 View Post
Mobil1 is an exceptional oil and is fine to use in your car -- if you have a problem, M1 is NOT going be the cause. I put it in my 2011 370z at about 800 miles, and now almost 3000 miles later, it looks like *maybe* it might be down 1/10 of a quart. That is great for a brand new engine, and consistent with the Mobil1 performance I have seen using it in my other cars for the last 250,000+ miles / 20 years.

Also, if your consumtion rate is anything less than 1qt every 1000 miles, it will not be considered an issue from a manufacturer point of view. Sounds like your burn rate is somewhere in the 1 quart every 4000+ miles or so.

Do your recheck carefully, but from the data you have shared so far, there is not a issue.

Cheers,
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachZTT View Post
It's not paranoia if THEY are really after you! It was 5000 miles before I stopped watching the dipstick twice a week and I didn't have any signs.

My friend is the only Nissan tech that touches her other than me... and that is because we used to race together and I know and trust him. And he knows that I know where he lives.

Anyway, he told me the first time we spoke about oil that they were instruced in their "Z training" to fill to half way between the high/low marks.

Keep an eye on your oil and if it falls below half way, have the dealership take a look. Keep records of what you see.
I agree... after researching and talking more about it, I think adding .25 quart for 1500 miles (at 1800 total miles) is nothing to worry about it. I will just continue to monitor it VERY WELL and VERY ACCURATELY. Will revisit dealer if issue arises at that point. I don't want to take it to a dealer if I don't have to. Besides, I will probably switch to redline or amsoil with the next change. Any preference on either?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Thumper View Post
Why did you change the factory fill at only 270 miles? With only 1,800 miles on the ODO and ~1/4 quart of consumption I wouldn't call that an issue. I ran the factory fill until about 1,700 miles (3.5 months) and have about 1,950 miles now. I just topped off this weekend with approx. 1/4 quart of oil to bring it to the H mark. Might not have filled it all the way to the H mark after the oil change, but I know it was close.

As with any new engine (up to approx 7,500 miles) I check the oil weekly regardless of how much I drive. I suggest you do the same and if you find that you need to add oil all the time record how much and how often.
hi Thumper... I changed at 270 because that was 6 months after I bought it... since it sat over winter. I just wanted to start fresh with Mobil 1 right away for this driving season. Planning to switch to Amsoil/Redline within a month or so tho...
2012 5.0 GT Prem, Kona Blue, 6MT, HID, Brembo, 3.73 -- Ordered: 9/20/11, Born on: 10/20/11, Delivered 11/15/11"Marilyn" GT500 mufflers/flaps, MGW shifter, FRPP K springs, BMR panhard bar, Boss coil covers, 3DC spoiler, Llumar Tint (35% and 20%), 3M ClearBra
FromG2Z is offline   Reply With Quote