View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
BrandonT
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z White
BrandonT is just really niceBrandonT is just really niceBrandonT is just really niceBrandonT is just really niceBrandonT is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvl View Post
Universal Oil Analysis
USED Oil Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvl View Post
Instead of pontificating about how good/bad/horrific any one product is, you pay $25 to have a lab actually run some chemical analysis on the used oil to then provide a modicum of empirical evidence which may fuel subsequent juvenile arguments about what product is best

Its a good thing to do for *yourself* if you are concerned about a problem with the engine, or you want to run extended oil change intervals (OCI): this way you can see how your engine works with a product. Products break down over time (additives, viscosity modifiers, etc...).

In general for the street, most good synthetics can be run for 6-7500 miles for example, but its nice to see a report after 7500 miles that the oil is still performing within spec. I have done it for previous vehicles when running up 7-10K OCI's on commuter cars, and when I suspected issues. Blackstone is a good lab, the one I used personally as well.

I have no plans to do it on the Z: OCI for this car is ridiculously low from Nissan so while in warranty, I'll follow their schedule which for my driving, means every 6 months.

- b
As b says it's just another tool to use instead of relying on "this oil works great in my car, buy it". There is some nuance to reading them, especially around how complete a picture the wear metals show, but for viscosity (shearing) and contaminants caused by a coolant leak, air filter, etc. they are pretty handy. Also if you are really into the extended oil change thing they can tell you how much of the additive pack is left (TBN).

Jason> good to see the viscosity stayed in grade even after two track days! If you like Mobil 1 have you tried the 0w40? I keep hearing how it is the best oil in that product line regarding how "true" of a synthetic it is.
BrandonT is offline   Reply With Quote