View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
FromG2Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 5.0, kona, 6MT
FromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyada View Post
1. OC more than a quart every 1000 is considered high. I don't know if this applies to you, had difficulty parsing out the info

2/3. For the oc test the dealer will need to do the oil change and monitoring. Obviously you can't add oil while testing is in progress. Mobil1 shouldn't be an issue, my dealer uses this by default.

I had a bad oc problem on my 350Z. I still have some oc on the 370 but nothing scary. I have to add about a quart every 2-3000 miles. What I do recommend is to set the oil reminder on your dashboard to 1000 miles and check it at that interval and top off as needed.
Sorry if unclear, I added no more than 1/2 quart to top it off to tip of H. However, after my oil change initially earlier this spring, I was at 3/4 stick. Which means.... I probably only added 1/4 quart this weekend, after 1500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post
When I used Mobil 1 for my prelude the oil would disappear. Because of this I used dino oil for my 350z. For my 370z I used Nissan ester then switched to redline. You should switch back to Nissan ester and see if it still burns oil. I personally wouldn't use mobile 1.
Interesting. I was worried about switching from Synthetic back to Dino.... but yeah, I've heard bad things about Mobil1. I might switch to Redline or Amsoil. Any thoughts on where I can buy either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCuomo View Post
You need to be able to state how much oil was consumed in a given number of miles (1,000). So write down the mileage at which you topped off the oil to H, then watch the oil level until it goes down to, say, the mid-point (or even the L point), then determine how much oil it takes to top it off back to H and record the odometer reading when you do top it off. Then you'll know what the rate of consumption is, and that is what will tell you if it meets or exceeds Nissan's "excessive" amount.
Yeah I think I am cancelling my appointment.... I think I am overthinking this. I called several dealers across the country and talked to the master techs.... they said more than likely no issue, and just monitor. I think I will do that first, and if I see any evidence of increased OC, I will schedule another oil change at dealer at that time. I will also be SURE to record accurately the level of the stick in accordance with the miles.

Also, I heard it's also good to flog her more often... so I will try to drive a little more aggressively now that she's 1800 miles in. That should help seat the rings even better.

Thanks for then inputs thus far. Any other thoughts?
2012 5.0 GT Prem, Kona Blue, 6MT, HID, Brembo, 3.73 -- Ordered: 9/20/11, Born on: 10/20/11, Delivered 11/15/11"Marilyn" GT500 mufflers/flaps, MGW shifter, FRPP K springs, BMR panhard bar, Boss coil covers, 3DC spoiler, Llumar Tint (35% and 20%), 3M ClearBra
FromG2Z is offline   Reply With Quote