View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
chuckd05
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No longer a Z
chuckd05 is just really nicechuckd05 is just really nicechuckd05 is just really nicechuckd05 is just really nice
Default Can a Mocal Thermostatic plate fail ? For my oil cooler?

Lately my oil temps have been sky high despite having my 24 row oil cooler... Cruising with a buddy who also has a cooler, My temps were 20-40 degrees warmer than his at all times... I never was hardly ever getting over 220 after the cooler, regardless of the weather, and now I'm hitting 230-250 if I am driving aggressively and 220 on a hot day like today just cruising around ...

I have this 20mm thread Mocal 180 degree sandwich plate...
(MOC-SP1FT Mocal Sandwich Plate- 20mm Thread $86.95)

Can this fail ? I can think of no other reason why my oil temps are sky high.. Its basically like I have no cooler... I cant see anything else in the system that would cause it to not work... the cooler is just a housing for oil so I can not see how that could be malfunctioning.

I am also going to flip my cooler and have the fittings up top after reading about the possibility of it messing with my oil level readings.. With the lines down, I cant find the thread I read a few weeks back, it is possible that my oil reading on the dip stick could be wrong as my cooler empties than re-fills when engine starts.. I am not sure if that is the case, but regardless flipping it to fittings up top would make me more comfortable, so I need to get the bumper off and re do the lines and fittings...

Should I order another Thermostatic plate? Could this be my issue... I had asked someone and they told me they "can't fail" but I don't see how that is possible...

I purchased my cooler off of modshack himself, so he installed it around May 2009 so it is a few years old.

Thanks for any help!