View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
cramcram
Base Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370Z
cramcram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red6spd View Post
First off the Oil Temps are normal. Sucks to say but its the way the car is and you should invest in an Oil Cooler. I use to run about 220-240 on normal drving. After the oil cooler I barely get over 180 even on 90+ days. Once I start to pust that right pedal down more and more the temps rise. Even on the Dragon in NC I only hit about 220-235. Now for the oil consumption, you might have to have the motor replaced by a Nissan dealer. Let Nissan do there test and they will let ya know if it needs to be done. I have to add a little oil here and there but not much. Now the feeling of a "prius towing a trailer" you get is because of the high oil temps. When the temps get high the computer cuts timing, I still get it from time to time. If I'm drving around in traffic for a while on a very hot and humid day the car almost goes into to like economy mode and forgets its a sports car. I get a really bad hesation (not in the engine its like in the gas pedal) but after a little of normal drving the car goes back to its normal fast self.
I understand but I'm getting high oil temps on days that would be considered cold on the East coast right now. Today with 85 degrees outside I hit 250 degrees doing 50 mph in 4th gear. The lack of performance is dramatic. $37K for a car that I'm scared to make a left turn against traffic with is beyond the pale.

Another poster mentioned the oil temp going down when the car is moving. I'm seeing the opposite effect. In stop and go (< 10 Mph) traffic it actually cools down to 220. Moving along I'm at 250. The oil temp is tracking engine revs more than anything else and I'm talking 3500 rpm, not red-line track use.

Honestly, do you think Nissan could give a way a sports car that has to be driven only in cool weather??? I think there's something wrong with my car that is in excess of what some others are seeing. I can't imagine driving this car in say, Phoenix.
cramcram is offline   Reply With Quote