View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
trwe413
Base Member

Drives: 370Z
trwe413 is on a distinguished road
Default Second Track Day

Took the Nismo out for a second track day. This time I went to MSR Houston for their Charity Race day and got 5 sessions on the track for $150.

For two of the sessions, it was raining and there was standing water on the track. Although I said I would never use VDC on the track again, I chickened out and used it on those two sessions.

There was a spec Miata race going on between our sessions and it was very entertaining watching those guys spin out (no one brought their rain tires). At one point, I think half the cars in the field were off track at the same time. That may have influenced my decision to use VDC.

I did one session at the end of the day with some water on the track with VDC off and it was not bad at all. For the other two sessions, the track was completely dry and very fast. My best lap time on the 2.38 mile track was 2:05.

The fluidyne oil cooler which I thought was marginal on my first track day
(240-250c oil temp at 100 degrees ambient temperature) was great this time (220c max oil temp at 90 degrees ambient).

Still no "ice mode" problem with the brakes although I am still not braking as late as I would if that was possibility was not a consideration.

I kept the fuel above 1/2 tank and had no starvation issues but did have two instances of unexplained hesitation in accelerating out of a turn. I am going to collect some data on my next track day to try to understand what that is.

All and all, I am very pleased with the performance of the car on the track and looking forward to the next track day (Texas World Speedway at College Station this Friday if all goes well).
trwe413 is offline   Reply With Quote