View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #56 (permalink)
Masa
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Family Cars
Masa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond reputeMasa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s View Post
So I've been doing some experimenting with plasti dip and clear coat at home. Bought a can of each and have been trying it out on one of my old dumbbells. Put 3 layers of plasti dip on each side and a layer of clear coat on one side. The side with just plasti dip peeled off easily. The side with the clear wasn't hard to peel off, but there was definitely a difference in how the material felt and how it peeled off. It did give it a lot more of a glossy finish. I added another coat of clear on top of the first one to see how many coats we can do before it becomes too difficult to remove.

Ron, any idea how many cans I will need to buy? Doing fangs, rear valence, and roof with plasti dip and also using clear coat for the roof.

I have some pics of my experiment that I will post once I'm done.

1 can each for valence and fangs will be more than enough (4 coats). Not sure about the roof, I would say at least 2 to be safe. The roof and rear valence will be pretty easy to do, the fangs will be a little time consuming because of all the crevices. When I mean time consuming, I mean masking off the areas, the actual painting will be very very easy since it requires no prep at all.