View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
JP-370Z
Base Member

Drives: '10|370|Sport|6Speed
JP-370Z will become famous soon enough
Default Just swapped the triple meter OEM gauges

I went back and forth about how to do this mod... I just could not see adding a gauge pod when I have three perfectly good spots on the dash.

As previously discussed, I don't see anyway you could remove the triple meter without pulling the entire dash. Although I'm certain I could do it, I saw no reason to spend the time to remove all of those pieces to save a $200 gauge that I'll never go through the pain of re-installing. Plus the possibility of introducing a new creak or rattle in the dash because it has now been compromised. Instead I removed the gauge not in one piece but many... I have no use for it so I methodically removed pieces of it one by one eventually reducing it to a plastic pile of rubble in the trash can.

Please excuse the crappy cellphone pics... I did not have a good camera with me at the shop this weekend but i snapped as many photos as I could throughout the process. I will take higher pics of gauges soon.

Removed removed the hoods, cover as well as the plastic covers, faces and needles - all of these will come off with ease.

After about 45 minutes of carefully removing piece by piece...

I was planning to get the Defi gauges after seeing how they looked but had a hard time sourcing them in time to start the project. Turned out better because I decided to go with the ProSport 60mm premium gauges instead which still black out similar to Defi but they also offer wideband O2. I picked up Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Wideband AFR ... the boost, oil temp and Widband will go on the dash. The oil pressure will be mounted out of the way but will have an audible alarm and LED indicator on the dash for low pressure indication (separate project on that later)

The size worked out perfect, not too deep and I was able to mill down the OE rings to fit back over for a more stock look. Not entirely stock looking since these have the peak hold/recall button on the face but still very OE finish when all was said and done.

a good bit of dremel work to shave out all of the clips and obstructions to get the gauge to fit properly it fit together perfectly (this is without silver ring at this point)

Complete test assemble of first gauge (not glued together yet though)

Mounting was the next obstacle, I wanted something that would be solid and have zero wiggle room. So cut down a small strip of aluminum for each and with a 3" screw, washer, lock-washer combo arrived at this

test fit / tighten to make sure it worked before creating the others

all three installed

you can source power right from the harness that is feeding the stock gauges. There is ground, constant power and switched ignition power all right there... you can even re-use the other end of the plug that is left over from the stock gauges which met their early demise.

final after install - color matches the stock interior nearly perfect, the iPhone image over saturates the amber glow but it really turned out well.

I took out navi the week before to unplug the the harness that leads to the gauge so that I could be certain that the car did not care that the gauges were no longer present. I would not have been happy to live with any sort of dash board error due to their absence... happy to report that the car does not care about the OEM gauges any more than I did - no errors.

I ran all of the sensor wires through the drivers side firewall and will be making those connection under the hood neatly tucked away under the fluid cover.

here is a quick peak at the exterior

sorry I could not post and actual DIY but this should spark some creative ideas and give hope where there previously was none... I will be happy to share any other details you wish

Last edited by JP-370Z; 07-19-2011 at 11:22 PM.
JP-370Z is offline   Reply With Quote