View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Vapiano
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Under PSI
Vapiano will become famous soon enoughVapiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleans13 View Post
how low of an offer should I start with?... 35K sounds great but a bit too low... at the end of the day I am willing to walk away from this car and wait for another one... but its so hard to get them in the color I want and 5 minutes from my house lol. I am a little excited and I dont want that to get in the way of the offer I want to make.
Here is a list of things to consider that have been extremely effective for me the past two car purchases:
  1. Always tell them you have financing whether you do or not (having a little white envelope in view with the bank's name on it, is also not a bad idea), if they know you have an open check book from a bank or credit union up to the specific amount of the car you want, this works in your favor because you will eventually buy a car from someone and they rather it be from them. Most of the time they will offer to beat the APR that you have to gain your business, they really want to earn that "interest" dollar. If and after the deal is done, go back to your bank or credit union and see if they can beat the dealer APR, they always have for me. This further drops your payment, they want that long term "interest" dollar as well.

2. Don't let them know you want to purchase the Nismo, act as if you want to BUY an Altima or lesser priced car, test drive it, make it seem legit. When you see the Nismo, say oh; What is that? That's a nice car and since you have seen it, that is the only car you want; play the dummy role. Let him know you really like the car but need to find out if your bank or credit union will authorize the additional funds (this is where they will push their financing options on you) to buy the car and you need time to think about it. TRUST me, they will work with you, they know you have already been pre-approved for an Altima or lesser priced vehicle, they will not want to let you out of the stealership until you buy something. It's all a game.

3. Always talk in terms of what you can afford per month, not the total cost of the vehicle, keep him focused on what YOUR budget is, not HIS asking price. If you are successful in doing this, you have changed the tide and he will work with financing to get to YOUR number.

4. Use Edmunds.com, send a request out to all the dealers that have a Nismo within striking distance and let them compete for your dollar. This is a great tool and it works!

5. BE willing to walk away, it's just a car, DO NOT MAKE IT EMOTIONAL, the dealer is depending on this one key factor!

6. I am not saying this is fail-proof, it depends on many different factors. I firmly believe no matter what, you need to control the sale from beginning to end, don't get caught up in the BS; stick to your guns! Once you lose control of the negotiating process you are toast.

I have purchased two brand new cars in the past 45 days using all the methods above, one for my wife and one for myself and got my asking price for both cars and free maintenance for 3 years on each car.

May the force be with you.

V

Last edited by Vapiano; 07-15-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Vapiano is offline   Reply With Quote