View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Methodical4u
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 370 6mt pw w/sp
Methodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the rough
Default Intakes... are they ALL just a scam?

I've searched and searched through all kinds of different intakes. Stillen seems to have pretty good gains if you want to take your bumper off and I know it's not hard, but I just don't want to do it.

I had a K&N Typhoon on my Mazdaspeed 3 and I felt nice results with that, though it was never dynoed. On our cars it seems the K&N Typhoon has next to no gains... 6 whp... wow big deal.

Looked at the Takeda (don't know if that's spelled right) a few days ago and after looking through thread after thread it turns out that those gains are hardly worth looking into it any further.

I had read that the drop-ins with post maf tubes gave some people around 15 hp, but then others say it's only again... about 6 gained.

AEM is a great company, but their intake design just sucks and yields very little if any power gain.

Basically every single one I research turns out to be a let down.

I have nothing against Stillen, but it's 500 and some odd dollars for an intake... that just seems very high for possibly good gains, though some people only see 14 whp, while others claim 20 hp.

I know I know there are so many variables with heat, humidity, each car being different... it's very frustrating however trying to figure out what to do when it comes to this. I'm doing all my homework now so I know what to buy when i'm ready, but so far NONE of them seem worth the money... can anyone help me out here?