View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
jginnane
Base Member

Drives: 09Z Pearl 7AT, 09 TL
jginnane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Thanks for the tips.

We are only going to be driving into the city on Friday and driving out on Sunday. The hotel is going to take care of the car at a pretty ridiculous daily rate and we will take a cab or the subway everywhere else.
I've driven my old Yukon into NYC thousands of times. (We live only 70 miles away). The Z will never drive into New York, not even "in transit" through to the boroughs or Long Island.

Weekends, starting with Friday night, are even worse than weekdays. Friday nights are when the "bridge and tunnel crowd" come in to do the nightclubs. (B&T is a derogatory term meaning people who can't or won't live in the City proper ... usually because they can't afford $3K+ for a Manhattan studio apartment as big as your Z.) But Sundays are just as bad, because everyone has to go back to their starting positions for the Monday morning rat race.

And Sundays in-bound are especially bad for traffic coming up from the Jersey Shore. Think of a 140 mile-long traffic jam. I got caught in this last weekend and it took me 2 1/2 hours to drive 65 miles. (If I hadn't had the 7AT, I think I would have parked the car for 6 hours.)

Your best bet is taking Amtrak from Washington, Philadelphia, or one of the stops nearer to NY like Iselin (Metropark). Don't go as far as Newark. Amtrak will get you in to 32nd Street and 8th Ave., which is walk-able to many hotels (or a good place to get your first taxi).
jginnane is offline   Reply With Quote