View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Corporate666
Base Member

Drives: 02 BMW 3
Corporate666 is on a distinguished road
Default Just got my Z - a few questions/observations

So I just picked up my car this afternoon.... it's pretty cool. It's a new (leftover) 2010 touring with sport package and nav. It had 60 miles on it when I drove it off the dealer lot this morning.

Overall I really like the car, but it rides and drives a LOT different than I thought it would. I am coming from a BMW 3-series. I figured the Z would be similar - that Japanese smooth buttery ride and Lexus like quiet interior. But not at all..

I was *amazed* at how much road noise you hear. I got up to 50mph out of the dealer onto a 4 lane road and I had to turn the stereo up... I realized the bluetooth is probably useless in this car on the highway - you would never hear the person

I went over some pebbles and rocks from some roadwork leftovers on the road and it sounded like someone shooting a BB machine gun at the back of the car. Wasn't expecting that. I also hear what sounds like either gear whine or just driveline noise coming into the cabin. Not bad, just very race-car-ish. Reminds me of the Panoz race cars I drove... totally unexpected. Kinda cool, I hope I don't get sick of it though.

I am very surprised at how clunky the driveline is. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just really hard to be super smooth. I guess I will get used to it. This car reminds me a TON of my old Viper GTS. I never thought a Nissan would be like my old Viper... not necessarily a bad thing - just much more of a sports car ride and feel that I thought it would have.

Also, I realize I must be getting fat because the sport seats were digging into my lower back on the right side the whole way home. I gotta lose weight anyway, but I was ready to get outta the car after my 2 hour ride home.

I really like the dash and gauges... the LEDs for gas and temperature are sort of gimmicky, but I like gimmicks The car is a PITA to get in and out of (wide sidesills) but it's surprisingly roomy and comfortable once you are in.

I have to read through the manual, but I am a lazy SOB... so what is that little slot below the traction control button? It looks like a holding slot for the key fob? I just left it in my pocket... is the slot just so that the car resembles a traditional key?

There are two rubber coated buttons above the license plate area. One opens the trunk, the other flashes the lights - is that just a lock/unlock button?

And the car says it has lumbar adjustments on the drivers side. I have 2 power seat controls on the right, and two big plastic dials on the left that tilt the seat... is that what they call "lumbar"?

I know, I know, RTFM... probably do that over the weekend

Definitely a cool car, I like it. It's NOTHING like my brothers old 300ZX though. Totally and completely different car in every way.

Last edited by Corporate666; 06-28-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Corporate666 is offline   Reply With Quote