View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Audi/Merc/BMW all have a lineup of high performance models that must be selling pretty darn well. Putting a GT-R motor in the 370Z, perhaps somewhat de-tuned to drop the HP into the lower 400s to keep it slower than a GT-R. I'd imagine a twin-turbo kit (GT-R detuned motor) would still keep the car's price around $55k-65k. Throw in some sportier springs, a vented hood, CF side mirrors, and a more aggressive grille and you have yourself a sweet upgraded Nismo package.

Would I be able to afford it right now? No. Would I drool when I saw someone drive it by, lust for it, and probably buy it in a few years when I'm not a surgical resident any longer? Absolutely.

I think the $60-70k sportscar market is pretty huge actually. Porsche has two models in that bracket and they're still in business .
Private citizens can slap on TT kits and other stuff without worrying about little things like whether the vehicle is even designed for that kind of HP or other concerns like warranties so while you may think Nissan could just slap together such a vehicle; it can't. It also won't because Nissan isn't going to do something so stupid as to impinge on the GT-R with something that offers only marginally less performance for $20k less - it would be stupid for them to do so.

As to the market...huge? Are you kidding me?

If you took all the sports car models sold by every manufacturer in a year and added them together they wouldn't equal the annual sales of even one mainstream model...even in a ridiculously tiny TVM of 10M units a year the normal size of the sports car market isn't a drop in the bucket.

And Nissan isn't Porsche...if it was a base 370 would cost you $55K at least.

Last edited by Robert_Nash; 07-19-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Robert_Nash is offline   Reply With Quote