View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #69 (permalink)
Methodical4u
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 370 6mt pw w/sp
Methodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tanooki View Post
A lot of great info has come of this thread - thanks to everyone for the input. I do have one more question for you all though:

I live in Vegas. It's hot out, obviously. Finding the right time to wash the car myself - which I now thoroughly enjoy - can be tough. My point: I wash it less now than when it was cooler out. I have found, however, that the car stays remarkably clean for MUCH longer than my cars ever did in London (moved to LV a year ago). I guess due to less vegetation, cleaner streets and air, and far fewer insects.

BUT there is a lot of dust in the air and I find that after a week or two, while the paint remains remarkably clean, a thin layer of light but visible dust surfaces the car.

It annoys me because it almost feels like a full clean isn't necessary. And I've seen several people here keep huge dusters in their garage to buff over the car. I DON'T want to do that - the dusters look black and dirty. But I had a similar intention...

My question is: Do you think it's okay to use a clean dry microfiber towel? So, grabbing two adjacent corners of the towel, you just sheet the cloth over the paint - adding no extra force than the weight of the material itself - to gently sheet the dust/pollen clear without having to apply water?

I don't want to damage my paint. I will wash it if you all think it's a terrible idea, but I tried it on the rear hatch and I can't see any problem. If this is a viable option, I'd only need to clean my car roughly once a month, and my thoughts are the reduced handling of the paint will reduce the overall damage that occurs due to the washing process.

Thoughts?
ANY time that you touch the paint with anything, no matter how soft, it will always have at the very least microscopic marring (scratching). If there is dust on the car, that means dirt... if you wipe it with anything, you will get scratches and overtime your paint will dull and it will need to be polished. It's likely always better to wash the car... rinsing it very throughly before washing, using very soft products and then using an electric blower. A good coat of sealant, I would recommend Finish Kare 1000p because of where you are and the Finish Kare's high temp formula (it's good up to 250 degrees)... after that the blower will make it much easier to get all of the water off.
Methodical4u is offline   Reply With Quote