View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
codpet
Base Member

Drives: Eclipse 2007 GT
codpet is on a distinguished road

He's right, you know about 50% of the cost of an extended warranty goes to the dealer. I wouldn't mind getting one, if they seriously came down on the price. You just need to know what other people have paid, and what it's actually costing them.

It's just like how you don't walk into a dealer not knowing the invoice price of the car, and how much it cost the dealer to buy. If you know that, and you want that car/warranty, you can bring them down on the cost.

Honestly, I'll be interested in it when I get my Z, for the sole fact that it's got a lot of technology in it, GPS/Bluetooth. I'm in I.T., so I can predict that these things will have issues after 36K, and that Nav system could easily set you back 3K if it completely fails on you.

I don't bank on having any mechanical issues with a new car.. they build those things too well. It's the electronics. I have several family members with cars having over 200K miles, and still no major breakdowns. The rest of the car usually goes well before the engine gives up.

We have one car in our parking lot that the rear axel became detached from the rest of the vehicle. The engine still works great, it's the body that's falling apart.

Last edited by codpet; 07-17-2009 at 10:00 AM.
codpet is offline   Reply With Quote