View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
ZKindaGuy
Track Member

Drives: 370Z-AT7 Tour+Sport
ZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire9200 View Post
I just waxed my car today for the first time and I've noticed that on my monterey blue Z on the passenger side, the entire top half of the car feels rougher than the bottom. Almost like the clear coat is way thinner on the top half. It starts at the top half of the bumper and goes from the fender to the rear quarter panel. There is also a fingerprint... yes a FINGERPRINT in the clear coat on my fender. Could this car have been involved in a shipping accident or a fender bender in transportation/on the lot resulting in a shop trying to cover it up by re-painting?.. or could the fingerprint have been during the primary painting at the nissan plant?

My question is, does anyone else notice that on certain parts of their Z the paint isn't as smooth as it should be? After waxing (with every car i've owned) the entire car should feel silky smooth.... but not my Z. The top half feels coarse.... there definitely isn't enough clear coat.

My dealer should cover this right? Honestly I'm starting to feel this car is a lemon, because the paint on my bumper is peeling off on the corner of where the bumper meets the fender as well.

What do I do now? Help! Any insight, experience or advice is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

First off as someone suggested get a claybar and go over the entire car with it to remove any contaminants such as road dust, tree sap and a host of other crap that fills the air that can settle into the car's surface.

Second - after that then get a very fine clear-coat safe polish and polish the entire painted surface. And spend a little extra time and light pressure on teh finger print area.

Third - Seal the surface with a coat or two of a good carnubba wax.

Forth - Do not always jump to the conclusion that something was being hidden, covered up or a conspiracy to defraud by the manufacturer or the dealer. It is absolutely normal for many of the cars that are transported by train or by portable parking lots to be "repaired" after transport before they are placed onto teh dealer lot for public display and consumption. That doesn't mean the dealer is trying to cover up an accident because those kinds of things aren't really accidentis unless they cause damage above and beyond the normal wear and tear caused by transporting. from manufacturer to the dealer.
ZKindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote