View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
11Thumper
Track Member

Drives: '11 370Z, '01 S2k
11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromG2Z View Post
Why would the manufacturer's recommendations NOT be the best way to handle THEIR product? I don't think I necessarily need to know "why" it's stated in the manual to follow. They're the experts. They're who I follow.
Don't forget a portion of their "recommendations" are tied to safety. Part of the reason they want you to baby the car is so that you don't wrap it around a tree within the first 100 miles because you're not used to the car yet. Also, if you drive it like you stole it right from the start you risk developing heat spots on certain parts of the internal components and that can lead to future warranty claims. Although, this is highly unlikely these days.

An engine isn't 'new technology' but the way it's designed and manufactured are. With the tight tolerances and materials engines are built with today it's easy to get 100k miles (or much more) from an engine without so much as a worry (there are exceptions I realize).

The basics of a proper break-in are simple. Fluids->Proper Temps->Increasing Load->Not Overheating->Proper Cool Down

What I do for all my vehicles:

1. Ensure ALL fluids are correct and at the proper levels before each drive.
2. Allow the car to warm up properly by driving around (calmly) until at normal operating temps. Don't just freeway cruise though.
3. Slowly ease into giving the vehicle more load. Rev it a little higher each time you go out but no need to thrash it. Also use engine braking to ensure proper seating of rings.
4. Drive moderately aggressive like this for 10-15 min then drive like your grandma for about 10 min and park the car. Let it cool down fully.
5. Continue this until approx. 500 miles then on step 3 give it full gas to redline, just once or twice every 3-4 times you drive the car. Run through the gears to legal speed.
6. Once you get to 750 or so miles there's really nothing more to do.

Don't forget to change the engine oil & filter. I go 600 miles for motorcycles and 1,800 miles for cars/trucks before first oil change. If it takes you 12 months to go 1,800 miles in a new car then change at 3-4 months.

I'm still a firm believer in the need to heat cycle a new engine. It's probably not needed these days but as another member said, do what makes you comfortable. Remember that you're not just doing the break-in on the engine, you're doing it for the entire car.

Do what works for you but it's nothing to really worry over.

Last edited by 11Thumper; 06-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
11Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote