View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
dubhov
Base Member

Drives: 10 NISMO 370Z
dubhov is on a distinguished road

I would most definitely get a lawyer. A reckless is a misdemeanor, and in a whole 'nother class of "crime", if you will, than a regular speeding ticket. Your record sounds fairly clean, so that's ammo for your lawyer right there. If you're polite, wear a tie, and let the lawyer do the talking, chances are you can get it reduced. IMO it's a racket anyway...the lawyers are all buddies with the DA/DA assistant/WHOEVER will be representing the state.

You won't get out of it, and you'll have a hefty fine to pay; the differences in insurance in the long run will be worth it though. FYI, the lawyer will run you ~$1000...sucks, I know, but like I said, probably worth it long-term.

My advice is to look for lawyer reviews, find the most professional looking websites, and go from there. Call them up and see what they can do for you. Don't be afraid to ask for prices too...there will be no bargaining after the fact anyway, so couldn't hurt to ask up front.

If you do end up getting a lawyer, your guy will talk to the DA(ish) guy before the slew of recklesses and DUIs get under way and most likely strike a bargain with him. I had a reckless and had it reduced to "improper driving" which is just a traffic offense and carried less of a fine.

Hope this helps.
dubhov is offline   Reply With Quote