View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dustin@Z1
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: NLA
Dustin@Z1 is a jewel in the roughDustin@Z1 is a jewel in the roughDustin@Z1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chii370 View Post
Sorry I live in Guam lol so excuse the late reply please. I have the Nissan motorsports unit, not modified. I don't run a thermostatic plate as I'm in a tropic environment. And the core is a 34 row setrab, mounted on the left. It is almost too big, it blocks over half of the radiator. I bought the kit directly from nismo, dealing through my dealer. Not to be confused with the 1200$ version from japan that's really not much different, just fits w/o flipping the stabilizer bar and has air fins. The car is being moved to Ohio in about 2 weeks, I'm very concerned that it will actually be TOO cold with the cooler. What thermo plate is everyone using, how much does it cost, and where do I get one?
The NISMO units additional cost comes from the fact that they locate it in the Driver (LHD) side of the fascia, just beneath the head light (in front of the wheel). It does not block the radiator like most other kits do on the market, but it does have alot more going on in terms of additional parts. The kit has a new front fender liner that is specially made along with brackets and ducts.

Like FL 4motion mentioned, we do sell a conversion kit for the NISMO equipped cars. It will require you to disassemble your existing lines and remove forged AN fittings in favor for a rebuildable, swivel fitting. The process is very simple to do. We use the Mocal Thermostatic Sandwich plate adapter for our kits. We examined other units available on the market and decided upon the Mocal unit for multiple reasons. The two primary reasons were:
  1. Compact design - Allowed for the fittings to positioned at multiple angles. It also did not offset the OEM filter as much as other units.
  2. Retained the OEM Oil Filter - Some units on the market will not work safely with the OEM oil filter. The Mocal unit has the perfect dimensions to be compatible with the factory Nissan Oil Filters.

The Nismo Thermostatic Conversion Kit lists for $150.00 on our site. It includes the necessary fittings, seals and sandwich plate. If you decide to go this route, I would be more than happy to talk you thru the install.

If you decide to build your own kit, you will still need to convert the current fittings on the Nissan Motorsports Oil Cooler kit to a conventional thread pitch fitting (AN, NPT, etc) in order to work with most sandwich plates found on the market. Nissan Motorsports specifically made their own sandwich plate with an odd ball port style fitting . From what we have found, there are no other sandwich plate adapters available that use that same thread pitch.

The Middle Eastern market oil cooler kit found on the 370Z from the factory is very similar to what is installed on the older 350Z's (VQ35DE's only). The US spec VQ35HR 350Z's and G35's did not have the factory oil cooler either. The factory style oil cooler kit is different in operation when compared to the oil-to-air style used by the aftermarket oil cooler kits. The factory oil cooler has a sandwich plate that passes oil thru it (it does not exit the sandwich plate at all and passes directly into the oil filter or block). Coolant is passed thru ports in the sandwich plate, sending the coolant around the oil thru passages (similar to coolant passing thru the cylinder block or heads) and extracts the heat that way. There really is not much additional oil added to the engine or that much addional strain or demand placed on the oil pump. I highly doubt that the Middle Eastern market 370Z's would hear any unusual noises like what we experience here.
Dustin@Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote