View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #731 (permalink)
Phil
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z Silver 6 sp
Phil is on a distinguished road

Thanks Robert, for your honest reply there. I may be a bit more concerned about this issue than some. I pre-ordered a 350-Z, 8 months before the '03's came out. The alignment issues were a common problem with the Z's and in those early days of the 350's, tires were wearing out quickly, and Nissan didn't resolve the problem, just gave some people some new front tires and said...problem resolved, and then fixed the real issue a year or two later. It looks like this may turn out the same way. I really liked my 350 and only put the very best of oils in it, I used Amsoil, and changed it every 4,000 miles, long before the oil was worn out. The car developed very serious oil leaks, which Nissan fixed under warranty. Then later my car started using oil more and more. Nissan told me to do an oil consumption test at the dealer, which I did. It was determined that the car was using 1 quart of oil every 380 miles. Yes, you read that right. The dealer told Nissan that I had an aftermarket exhaust on it, and that was enough for them, it was my fault...case closed. Further testing on my dollar, revealed that the oil retaining rings were bad and the oil was just blowing past them and out the exhaust. That meant either rebuilding or replacing the engine at a cost of 4 to 8 thousand dollars. I decided to take a loss and sell the car as is, and figured the new Z would be more trouble free. Now with the brand new one there is a fresh new oil issue. So, I guess you can see why I am a bit concerned. I don't want another automobile nightmare.