View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #726 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
You guy's must work for Nissan, if not they should be sending you checks.
Actually I do work for Nissan and have been very open about that (in fact, you can take a look at the sticky thread sitting beside this one (For those ready to buy a 370/other new Nissan or Infiniti Vehicle ).

Quote:
If there's no issue here, if this is only in other peoples minds, then why did Nissan put oil coolers on all the new Z's they sent out to the magazines for testing, they don't put them on other Nissans when they are being tested, they know there is an issue here, the coolers prove it.
I’m pretty sure that I haven’t and I don’t think anyone else has said that the problem is only in other people’s minds but it is true that what one person perceives to be a problem does not mean it will be perceived that way or actually be a problem by/for someone else.

<o></o>As to the coolers on the test vehicle; I suspect that it’s because Nissan knew that the magazines doing the testing were going to drive the piss out of the 370s on the track. I think the one point everyone seems to agree on is that running the car on the track means you need an engine oil cooler as did the 350 before it and likely as would most modern vehicles today that don’t already have a one.

With regards to “other Nissans”; I’m not sure what other Nissan’s you are referring to but I doubt you know if they put oil coolers on other Nissans being tested or not (I know I don’t know) and if they did, I would suspect it was for the same reason I suggested above.

Quote:
You mentioned that there is no scientific, controlled studys on how and when the overheating happens, how about everytime I drive my car. If you were having this issue with your car, that would be all the scientific evidence you would need.
What kind of temperatures are you seeing every time you drive your car? Have you documented this with your dealer? If so, what did they say? Would your driving style get you a ticket (or in jail) if a police officer were behind you each time? Have you filed complaints with the NHTSA or perhaps an appropriate state agency or returned your car under you state’s lemon laws?

I’m not trying to be flippant here; I’m really not…but if your car is giving you a serious problem every time you drive it then I encourage you to take action until you get it resolved one way or the other.

Quote:
You need to study up on engine oils an see how the oil begins to break down when it is overheated to the 240-250 range. At this point, at whatever percent of breakdown, it is lubricating the engine less and less, which leads to engine wear and internal problems.
I will admit up front that I’m no engineer; I don’t know if you are or not; so there is a lot about this I don’t know.

But I do know that all oil breaks down and I know there are many variables that cause that breakdown and how quickly it happens. I also know that heat is one of the biggest contributing factors to engine oil breaking down. I also know that the flashpoint of the oil is one way to measure how easily/quickly an oil will breakdown with heat and that synthetic oils have a much higher flashpoint and resist breakdown due to heat much better than natural petroleum oil. I’ve also been told by someone much smarter than I am in such matters that 220 degrees is about perfect for the 3.7L.

What I don’t know is, if 220 is the preferred temperature, is there a significant/measurable risk to the engine with the oil running into the 240 or 250 or whatever range (however often that happens/however long that happens)…I don’t know if good synthetic oil is good enough to negate those kinds of concerns if you are changing your oil every 3 months/3,000 miles.

Well…I think the molecules from the bloodstains are now down to their individual neurons and electrons at this point…I’m truly sorry if you are having a serious problem with you car and I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction; whatever that takes.

Last edited by Robert_Nash; 07-15-2009 at 05:00 PM.