View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
gillies
Base Member

Drives: 10 370z
gillies is on a distinguished road

I wonder how much fuel they gathered for the test. When you buy fuel at a pump with one nozzle that dispenses two or three octanes, everything left in the line from the prior purchase is what you will get until the pump starts sucking your choice. Basically, you'll get a hose length of low octane before getting your high octane. If the test conducted by Good Morning America only comprised 3-5 gallons, it is very concievable that the octane value in the test sample was lower than advertised. Without knowing how the test was conducted, the test could be misleading.

As to octane, it is only necessary to run a level that keeps the engine from pre-detonating (pinging). If your car does not suffer from pre-detonation at 91 octane, it is simply a waste of money to spend for a higher rating. Also, higher octane will do little/nothing for HP, torque, or engine performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post
I go to RaceTrac for 93 only ever since I watched a show on Good Morning America which showed a Shell station with a surprise inspection. The inspection showed that the "93" they were selling people was actually just "91.5". I watched it probably 2 months ago. It was owned by an Arab/Indian family in another state out west I believe.

RaceTrac's 93 passed the inspection.

I try to only go to the newest stations too in hopes of having "cleaner" fuel since everything is new.

Heres a link to a test done a few years ago but I don't think it specifically names stations.
Is Your Gas Station Ripping You Off? - ABC News