View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #93 (permalink)
tvfreakazoid
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2015 Audi S5; 6spd.
tvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond reputetvfreakazoid has a reputation beyond repute

Well as you can tell i'm new to the ar weapons. I hear that the pistons from a few people i've talked to on other forums said that they don't generate as much heat, which mean it's better for the rifle and probably last longer and there isn't much cleaning involved.

I guess for some people they rather stick with the older style, plus the DI system has been used for a long time. Some people rather not pay that much for a Piston system. Personally I dont mind paying a little more for a quality build AR. It's just that for an upper costing over $1700 for lwrci a2 and over $1800 for an a3 it's just a tad bit much. That's why I'm leading toward the POF which cost about $1395 for an upper, still expensive compared to the other brands, but I hear that the quality of build is good.

From the different websites i've been to regarding Piston AR's, that piston rifles from reputable companies seems to be priced around the $1300 to $1500 range.
I'm a little hesitant buying from POF because POF is really a small company and who knows how long it will stick around. If that company goes under what will I do if I need certain parts that are proprietary? Plus, I talked to a gun store owner in reno, NV and he told me that he and his buddy had some problems with the pof. I have to ask him what were the problems. That worries me a little.

How come you don't like the rail system on the pof? It seems similar to other rails systems i've seen POF rail
I'm not sure if I want to go with the 14.5 or the 16".
I also here that the 5.56 AR's can use the 6.8 ammo, but all you need is a different barrel. Is this true? Or do you have to get a different lower rec?

By the way what does BUIS stand for? I'm thinking about getting a spikes tactical lower. But I haven't done a lot of research for lowers yet. I also read that Kaiser defense make pretty good lowers.
I noticed on some lowers, that said 2 stage trigger! What does that do?
But I just need to make a quick decision soon cause who know what laws will be passed regarding AR's, especially in Cali.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMZ View Post
They are roughly comparable. Except for that hideous rail POF uses, thats what killed them for me. I dont remember if I asked you or not, but is there a specific reason youre going piston? I just want to reiterate that after going this route, Id rather have a regular DI gun. You dont seem quite sure you want to spend this much for just an upper. Youre still gonna need BUIS/optic and a complete lower at the least.

http://www.the370z.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1188&dateline=1232328  539

Last edited by tvfreakazoid; 07-15-2009 at 05:09 AM.
tvfreakazoid is offline   Reply With Quote