View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
ZKindaGuy
Track Member

Drives: 370Z-AT7 Tour+Sport
ZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
The self-sealing paint is an option in the UK, don't know why it's not available here. Does anyone know if it actually works?
In the US some major car manufacturers such as Ford spray a layer of epoxy down after the primer is applied but before the paint is applied. This reinforces the strength of the paint from a hardening perspective and also provides a measure of adhesion so chips are minimized. They still can occur but it literally takes a very hard wack to cause a deep chip.

I learned this when a truck retread blew off the truck and plowed directly into the front of my Shelby's air-damn. There was some minor knicking. I expected to find alot more paint damage but there wasn't. The dealer explained to me at that time about the epoxy-paint process they employ.

What I am wondering is if this s the "self-sealing" paint you have referred to that is dominant in Europe?

Last edited by ZKindaGuy; 07-15-2009 at 11:20 PM.
ZKindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote