View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #67 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGItonium View Post
Holy crap. I feel dumb now haha. I thought the roughness was some artifacts from the factory. So that's what raw CF is like? I'm a noob to this stuff. No wonder there were some pits, white markings, some permanent finger prints, etc.

You're right, the included screws are a joke. I also went out to the local hardware store and got some machine screws, washers, nuts, and even some RTV. The first side skirt wasn't as clean. The next one was better. Then the lip was pretty much nearly perfect. I'm no good with this stuff...

I think the lip goes on real nicely. The side skirts are a good concept, but it doesn't "mold" to the side skirts as well. I have no clue how shops are going to lift the car now with the CF skirts. If I ever destroy these, I'll probably opt for Sunline Racing side skirts. Still loving the lip, and this setup turns plenty of heads.
Yah, you are feeling the raw resin (epoxy) to harden the CF. Its not a finished
product. In fact unless you clear coat it with UV protection it will turn yellow... note that not all clearcoats are high in UV resistance.

I used Krylon UV Resistant Clear. You can get the 11oz spray cans locally at most art stores like Michael's. Or have your local shop sand it and paint it. I used some matte black enamel paint along the edges to seal the CF before applying the clear. This is to prevent moisture to be absorbed and for the CF not to undo itself.

Thanks for the info on the skirts. I want to get them down the road but yah it will be difficult for shops to get their lifts under there!
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote